Remove this ad

Lead

Dec 14 07 9:16 AM

Tags : :

See the truth, it has been 18 years since the game released, the author has not been published the source code yet, it means that he does not want it to live anymore. Even more, fans are unable to spend some time and create a remake, nor to convince the author for source code. So let the game finally rest in peace.
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#4 [url]

Dec 15 07 6:42 AM

Then do something! I didn't see here at least half finished remake.
And please, try to respond not only to last sentence in the first message..

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Dec 15 07 6:53 AM

When you have only original game to play, you solved it hundred times - what here to discuss?
I've seen the arguments of the remakers, almost everybody complains about having no free time.
But free time is absctact thing - in reality there is something that you do, and something that you don't do.
Remaking falls in last category. How do you call yourself fans then?

Quote    Reply   

Gil

Manticore

#6 [url]

Dec 15 07 8:28 AM

Let me show you the hundreds of savegames I have of play-throughs, the thousands of lines of code written for remake projects, the sets of graphics, starting as early as 2001, then tell me again I'm not a fan...

Quote    Reply   

Theta

Manticore

#7 [url]

Dec 15 07 11:36 AM

I have school I have to manage. I've been trying to program a Remake since late 2004. I've gone through programming classes to learn how to program.

Like the old saying goes: Rome wasn't built in a day.

Edit: And actually, when I'm walking from and to school I am thinking of ways to remake the game's random floor generator (Not all the time, but sometimes).

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Dec 15 07 2:48 PM

Gil wrote:
Let me show you the hundreds of savegames I have of play-throughs, the thousands of lines of code written for remake projects, the sets of graphics, starting as early as 2001, then tell me again I'm not a fan...

Why thanks, I don't need savegames..
Where is the result of writing thousands lines of code? Too bad that you're started in 2001, and still haven't much to show.
I see, your graphics are nice, but it's not enough to have a working remake.

TheT wrote:
I've been trying to program a Remake since late 2004.

That's unfortunate too.
TheT wrote:
Like the old saying goes: Rome wasn't built in a day.

That's right, but can Castle of the Winds be compared with it in compexity?
The game (remake) doesn't require to have stunning graphics or variety of sound effects. It shouldn't take years to make it!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#9 [url]

Dec 15 07 8:54 PM

Grom PE wrote:
Why thanks, I don't need savegames..

I think you're missing the point in exactly what is involved with remaking something you don't have the data for. He's got to play lots of games, take notes, to try and figure out what the game is doing to reverse engineer it to duplicate the mechanics. Since before he can remake it he needs to understand how it works.

Grom PE wrote:
Where is the result of writing thousands lines of code? Too bad that you're started in 2001, and still haven't much to show.
I see, your graphics are nice, but it's not enough to have a working remake.

There are a lot of things that need to be done to make a game and not all of it shows up in the end result. And stuff which is there in the end result might not be something which is presentable or understandable in its current state to the end user.

Grom PE wrote:
That's right, but can Castle of the Winds be compared with it in compexity?
The game (remake) doesn't require to have stunning graphics or variety of sound effects. It shouldn't take years to make it!

It's still a lot of work even without the top of the line graphics. These aren't people being paid to make it. They are doing this in their spare time so they can't invest 40 hours a week to it like a job.

If you feel the projects aren't going anywhere or are too slow for you feel free to take it on yourself since you seem to think it's such a simple game and can be completed in a brief period of time.

Quote    Reply   

Gil

Manticore

#10 [url]

Dec 16 07 11:24 AM

Besides, why do we need to defend ourselves? We're doing it because it's fun and we learn from it, not because you told us we have to...

Quote    Reply   

Gil

Manticore

#12 [url]

Nov 26 12 6:31 AM

Right about what?
Nothing as in leptoon running beta tests for the MMO?

If you are going to jump onto these forums every 5 years to complain, don't bother...

We're doing this for fun, we're having fun. The only problem here is you and your invented expectations.

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Nov 26 12 7:33 AM

I was right that this is going nowhere.

No, no, I'm just stating the fact, not complaining, not expecting anything. It is sad that after so many years there are no real results. It hurts to see many projects die to lack of interest and cooperation before they get any playable.

Should have an open sourced collaborated project if people want to move anywhere with a real remake.

Tried to take a look at leptoon's work -- it says "Currently Unavailable". Doesn't look promising as it is majorly unfinished and not progressing; neither the online-only gamemaker-like platform it is built on it does.

Also, looks like http://www.exmsft.com/~ricks/ is dead.

Quote    Reply   

Gil

Manticore

#14 [url]

Nov 26 12 10:15 AM

Yeah, Saada's page is dead, pity.

leptoon's game is not "majorly unfinished" and until a few weeks ago, was still progressing. Byond has existed for ages now and has a large, active community.

As for open source project, I don't think that would work.

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Jul 16 13 7:17 PM

Wasnt the origanal done as a boardom project that he had some ideas for from a table top rpg(D&D or some such). Not to bash the guys working on remakes, I look forward to anything they come out with. This is one of my favorite games of all times, next to zelda lol

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

Jan 23 14 12:29 PM

Sorry about the lack of updates... I do have the original source code and the MMO game is still in development. Please see my thread for an update.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help