Manticore

#21 [url]

Oct 6 09 2:54 PM

Don't cheat, stay in school!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#23 [url]

May 9 11 12:31 AM

I have a problem. That store robbing thing is genius, but it seems that if I try it, 9/10 times it crashes the game when I try to leave the village or even sooner and/or won't let me save and/or corrupts my save file.

How do I fix this?

Also, how do you meddle with the icon to say, get it of Luke Skywalker holding a Lightsaber?

Also, has anyone found a way to charm the monsters to get them to kill each other?

If so, please tell me.

Quote    Reply   

#24 [url]

May 9 11 12:35 AM

What are the levels? And when do you reach "Surtur level"?

Also, Surtur is no fun to clone. He doesn't carry goody bags like all the other boss monsters.

You know, all the Giant Bosses has bags and shields and whatnot, all surtur clones carry NOTHING.

Quote    Reply   

Theta

Manticore

#25 [url]

May 10 11 2:32 PM

Helm Master wrote:
I have a problem. That store robbing thing is genius, but it seems that if I try it, 9/10 times it crashes the game when I try to leave the village or even sooner and/or won't let me save and/or corrupts my save file.

Are you making sure that you leave at least one item in the store?

Helm Master wrote:
Also, how do you meddle with the icon to say, get it of Luke Skywalker holding a Lightsaber?

Compatibility mode in Windows XP. Then you just need an ICO file of Luke.

Helm Master wrote:
Also, has anyone found a way to charm the monsters to get them to kill each other?

If so, please tell me.

I've never heard of that, if I had to take a guess I would assume the monsters just check for the player and not another monster. Plus, Monster Projectiles go through monsters.

The one exception would be the Dragons, their breath can damage other monsters.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#26 [url]

May 10 11 3:00 PM

If I don't leave one item, will it cause a game error?

I'm wondering what's causing the error?

I think I ran into it even when I left many items, but there is another glitch, at least for me, with Vista, that might be part of it.

Before I knew how to get new levels with the Shift thing, I had decimated so many monsters and bosses that the levels got full of junk and it couldn't apparently handle the detail and ran low and memory, forcing the program to close.

When I do the store cheat, it sometimes gives me the impression that I'm hacking the code or doing something illegal that was against the game's protocol.

In fact, it usually corrupts when I try to save it, and if it does, when it try to load it, the entire game just exits. I tried to see if the glitch was related to cow1 only but it appears again in cow2.

I don't know what compatibility mode to run the game. Usually I had it at XP but I lately changed it to 95 as that was when the game was written.

However, even when I had XP compatibility, I had the game still have errors.

Also, I might add, I have more glitches. If I drink too many "Smart" potions or other potions that increase some other skill, my skill will go very low, which is very bad if I lose a ton of strength and can't hold a single piece of copper, let alone a ton of "Strong" potions! Also, if I gain too many levels, it'll keep saying, welcome to level X, welcome to level X+1, welcome to level X+2, etc, welcome to level X + 1000, till the game crashes.

Also, I was going to add, I heard some people talking about potions of Confusion and stuff of resist Confusion and stuff like that and Potion of Black Dragon Blood. There are NO black dragons, not even young ones!

Also, is it just me, or are none of the Shades or Spectres women?

How was somebody able to walk on gardens or farm fields?

Quote    Reply   

Theta

Manticore

#27 [url]

Jun 10 11 9:30 PM

Sorry for the late reply, I was finishing my exams/trying to meet an important deadline.

Helm Master wrote:
If I don't leave one item, will it cause a game error?

I'm wondering what's causing the error?

From what I remember, if you do not leave an item in there, yes it will crash.

Helm Master wrote:
I think I ran into it even when I left many items, but there is another glitch, at least for me, with Vista, that might be part of it.

I'd like to test, but as I'm on x64 Windows 7, I can't as 16-bit programs no longer run at all.

Helm Master wrote:
Before I knew how to get new levels with the Shift thing, I had decimated so many monsters and bosses that the levels got full of junk and it couldn't apparently handle the detail and ran low and memory, forcing the program to close.

My guess is there isn't a limit to how many items can be on a floor.

Helm Master wrote:
When I do the store cheat, it sometimes gives me the impression that I'm hacking the code or doing something illegal that was against the game's protocol.

In fact, it usually corrupts when I try to save it, and if it does, when it try to load it, the entire game just exits. I tried to see if the glitch was related to cow1 only but it appears again in cow2.

Hacking is done via Take the Exe and changing values in it to do different things. The store thing is more of a glitch, as it is an unintended side effect.

As for corrupted saves, I'm not sure if it's a Vista/7 thing.

Helm Master wrote:
I don't know what compatibility mode to run the game. Usually I had it at XP but I lately changed it to 95 as that was when the game was written.

However, even when I had XP compatibility, I had the game still have errors.

Compatibility mode isn't 100% exact, it just tries to do a few things so the application "hopefully" works in a newer version. An emulator would be more exact as it Emulates the environment rather than forging a few things to make the application happy.

Helm Master wrote:
Also, I might add, I have more glitches. If I drink too many "Smart" potions or other potions that increase some other skill, my skill will go very low, which is very bad if I lose a ton of strength and can't hold a single piece of copper, let alone a ton of "Strong" potions! Also, if I gain too many levels, it'll keep saying, welcome to level X, welcome to level X+1, welcome to level X+2, etc, welcome to level X + 1000, till the game crashes.

Yes, the Smart potions cause an overflow, that's when a number get's so high that it goes back to 0, or possibly a negative value. Once your intelligence get's to 255 points, another point will set it to 0. This is not a bug or glitch, just a lack of having limits set to certain values.

Same thing with levels, experience overflows and causes an infinite loop, probably because it was never intended for the player to get that high as that would be a really long game.

Helm Master wrote:
Also, I was going to add, I heard some people talking about potions of Confusion and stuff of resist Confusion and stuff like that and Potion of Black Dragon Blood. There are NO black dragons, not even young ones!

Those were removed from the game. They no longer exist, but they are still referenced in the code, and a few of them (Via a Hex-Editor) are still accessible.

Helm Master wrote:
Also, is it just me, or are none of the Shades or Spectres women?
]

The Icon resource for them in the exe is the Male, the reason why none of the are female is because there is no Icon for them (The Spectre isn't truly transparent).

Helm Master wrote:
How was somebody able to walk on gardens or farm fields?

Never heard of that one.

Quote    Reply   

#28 [url]

Jan 15 14 2:28 AM

Well, for some weird reason I can't make a new thread for this, it keeps saying "javascript error" or something but I hope it fits in this thread as well...

Anyway, my name's Amy and I'm here to revive this dying game with a bang. What I have here is a big pack of glitchy-as-hell savegames for Castle of the Winds volumes 1 and 2, most of which have been created by using a hex editor on my existing savegames. Actually I discovered this site just a couple of weeks ago and I noticed everyone around here is still playing the same old game, and that's probably why it's on the verge of dying: once you managed to beat both volumes a couple of times, there's not much you can do. Right?

But these days have come to an end now! If you're curious, you can get a pack of my savegames here: https://app.box.com/s/fpo3erfei8d6nzfixwdb
It's a zip archive that also contains various readme files describing every single savegame file in there. Your CoW gaming experience is never going to be the same again. Feel free to check them all out, but if you're impatient and wanna see right now whether I'm just lying to you, here are some starters:
- If you want to jump out of your seat in awe and scream like a madman (or whatever you do if something totally unexpected happens), load "supe-and.cwg" into volume 1 or "supersel.cwg" into volume 2 and start exploring the current dungeon level. Oh, and one more hint: this character has the teleport spell, use it!
- If you're looking for a damn hard challenge, "siet.cwg" is made for volume 2. The goal is to defeat Surtur and carry the amulet back to castle level 0. Now I'm sure everyone around here can beat the game in their sleep but you won't beat this one any time soon, I can assure you that. It's a lot of fun to see how far you can make it though.
- And if all you ever wanted to do was just killing huge amounts of monsters (or get killed by them) then "diff10.cwg" is for you (made for volume 2). It's beatable if you know what you're doing, and seeing that everyone around here is a die-hard CoW fan you shouldn't have any trouble.

Damn, I really hope this post will show up cause either my computer is also glitchy as hell or some parts of the forum aren't working... Anyway, I still have a whole lot of savegame files in store and will add them to this archive as time permits. Meanwhile, feel free to discuss whatever you can find - as I said already, I wanted to make this into a new topic but it just doesn't seem to work? Well, have fun, and if any of those savegames don't work right, or if you just want to share your playing experience, post about it! :)

Quote    Reply   

Theta

Manticore

#29 [url]

Sep 1 14 9:45 PM

Aaaaaimbot wrote:
Well, for some weird reason I can't make a new thread for this, it keeps saying "javascript error" or something but I hope it fits in this thread as well...

Anyway, my name's Amy and I'm here to revive this dying game with a bang. What I have here is a big pack of glitchy-as-hell savegames for Castle of the Winds volumes 1 and 2, most of which have been created by using a hex editor on my existing savegames. Actually I discovered this site just a couple of weeks ago and I noticed everyone around here is still playing the same old game, and that's probably why it's on the verge of dying: once you managed to beat both volumes a couple of times, there's not much you can do. Right?

But these days have come to an end now! If you're curious, you can get a pack of my savegames here: https://app.box.com/s/fpo3erfei8d6nzfixwdb
It's a zip archive that also contains various readme files describing every single savegame file in there. Your CoW gaming experience is never going to be the same again. Feel free to check them all out, but if you're impatient and wanna see right now whether I'm just lying to you, here are some starters:
- If you want to jump out of your seat in awe and scream like a madman (or whatever you do if something totally unexpected happens), load "supe-and.cwg" into volume 1 or "supersel.cwg" into volume 2 and start exploring the current dungeon level. Oh, and one more hint: this character has the teleport spell, use it!
- If you're looking for a damn hard challenge, "siet.cwg" is made for volume 2. The goal is to defeat Surtur and carry the amulet back to castle level 0. Now I'm sure everyone around here can beat the game in their sleep but you won't beat this one any time soon, I can assure you that. It's a lot of fun to see how far you can make it though.
- And if all you ever wanted to do was just killing huge amounts of monsters (or get killed by them) then "diff10.cwg" is for you (made for volume 2). It's beatable if you know what you're doing, and seeing that everyone around here is a die-hard CoW fan you shouldn't have any trouble.

Damn, I really hope this post will show up cause either my computer is also glitchy as hell or some parts of the forum aren't working... Anyway, I still have a whole lot of savegame files in store and will add them to this archive as time permits. Meanwhile, feel free to discuss whatever you can find - as I said already, I wanted to make this into a new topic but it just doesn't seem to work? Well, have fun, and if any of those savegames don't work right, or if you just want to share your playing experience, post about it! :)

I know it has been several months since you posted this, but I do fully intend to try out all those saved games as soon as I can, especially siet10.cwg :)

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help