Remove this ad

Theta

Manticore

#41 [url]

Aug 24 07 7:43 PM

Taivo wrote:
If you load the Bjarnarhaven winning game, then time will be 0:0:0. Let's imagine, that you will play two and half minutes (time 0:2:30) and reload the same Bjarnarhaven winning game. You are in starting position again, near castle gate, but the time will not be in zeros! It remained 0:2:30. But you can quit the game, start it again and reload then Bjarnarhaven winning game. Now the time will be 0:0:0 again.

Nice find, though I think this should be in the glitches, no?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#42 [url]

Aug 28 07 11:27 AM

Gil wrote:
And this is true every time?

I am almost sure, that yes.

TheT wrote:
Nice find, though I think this should be in the glitches, no?

I am almost sure, that yes. Typical programming mistake.

Now about generating a place for traps. Let's imagine, that program is generating a trap and needs a random place for that. At first, a random row and a random column are generated. If this place is proper for a trap, then this is OK. Usually random place is not OK, because appears somewhere in wall (stone). Then row will be the same, but column will increase by one (step right/east). If a new place suits for trap, then OK, if not, then column is increased again. If columns end and proper place is still not found, then row is increased and column is 1 (leftmost, westmost). If rows end, then process continues from 1st row (upmost, northmost). Unsuitable places for trap are considered walls and places with another trap, but also stairs and doors, very probably fountains and thrones. But places with monsters and/or items are suitable for trap.

The same algorithm is used, when generating random place for items and monsters. Of course, monster can step on doors and stairs, and if monster stays on door and you kill him, then it can drop a lot of items on door, but neither monsters nor items are created there.

What we can conclude from that? The westmost (leftmost) edge of room is dangerous, it consists more probably traps (and also items) as other places in room. North-south directional (vertical) caves are more dangerous than west-east directional (horizontal). North-south directional caves consist more traps, monsters and items. The north-western corner of the northern room consists almost surely something.

Quote    Reply   

Theta

Manticore

#44 [url]

Sep 2 07 9:03 AM

Casting the Light spell in certain rooms will cause the entire room to light up and you'll be able to see everything in the room, this can be useful if you don't have Detect monsters and want to see if any monsters are in a dark room (Not all rooms do this If I remember correctly.)

Quote    Reply   

Gil

Manticore

#45 [url]

Sep 2 07 12:31 PM

All rooms do it, except for the accidental rooms that originate from the map algorithm. 90% of the rooms is lit up by a single light spell though.

Quote    Reply   

#46 [url]

Sep 3 07 11:14 AM

If you cast rune of return, then you are returned sometimes in next full minute, sometimes next after next full minute. It can happen, that you cast rune of return and must wait half minute until returning, then reload game, cast again rune of return and must wait one and half minute until returning. This is determined randomly.

Quote    Reply   

#47 [url]

Sep 4 07 1:34 PM

I found the area in the save file for time-based events, but I haven't been able to write anything to handle it because it's setup rather like pack contents.

I have figured out that the primary data is the +/- amount, and the effect to activate when it's done. This explains the Rune of Return time delay, and would give someone a way to check the precise number of turns left before it actually occurs.

I doubt there's much more to be learned from inspecting this portion of the save file, so it'll likely be figured out at some moment of extreme boredom.

Quote    Reply   

#48 [url]

Sep 4 07 4:05 PM

Taivo wrote:
There are two kind of slimes. One needs 2 magic arrows to kill and other needs 3.

The amount of hp for a particular monster varies - slime is from 8 to 13. Also, think the damage done by an attack varies (haven't checked magic arrow specifically). It also seemed like magic arrow was less effective at a distance - haven't tried to quantify that so not sure that it isn't selective memory.

Quote    Reply   

#49 [url]

Sep 6 07 11:14 AM

simulationary wrote:
Also, think the damage done by an attack varies (haven't checked magic arrow specifically). It also seemed like magic arrow was less effective at a distance - haven't tried to quantify that so not sure that it isn't selective memory.

It is easy to determine with slimes, which do not run away. I have not done that.

It seemes to me, that attack damage varies only for attacks, made by monsters. If they attack you from far, then damage is smaller. But the attack damage, made by player, does not vary from distance. Only chance to hit decreases with distance.

Quote    Reply   

#50 [url]

Sep 10 07 10:46 AM

Some animals and traps have two kind of attacks. The simplest of them is viper, which has hit and poison attack. This is determined not randomly, but by turn. Some traps damage two or even more characteristics, for example, strengh and dexterity. This is also determined by turn (depends on activation minute).

But some attacks are random. For example, wolf can byte and attack 2 times. White wolf can byte, attack 2 times and freeze. Dragon can breath and attack. This is determined randomly. If manticore or giant is far from player, it can attack from far or step closer. This is also random.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

Theta

Manticore

#51 [url]

Sep 10 07 7:31 PM

Thrones and Fountains in the game can be used in the verbs menu, walk on top of one and you'll be able to activate it.

If you see objects in a store you want later on for bosses Such as Surtur, store them in a corner of the town so you can pick them up later and they don't get stolen from you from a thief.

Quote    Reply   

#52 [url]

Sep 18 07 11:15 AM

The 4th floor of Crossroads consists a prisoner, guarded by a lot of ogres. The prisoner must be freed with 50 minutes, or else he will die. You will get 6 warnings: first almost immediately after entering the floor, then one after every 10 minutes and the last 9 minutes after one-before-last warning, 1 minute before prisoner dies. If you get the last warning, then it is usually too late to do anything.

It is said here, that you cannot neither rest nor sleep in 4th floor before freeing prisoner. This is not true. You can rest, you can sleep, you can go to upper floors, you can do everything. But if 50 minutes are over, the prisoner dies. And if you are on upper floors, then you do not get any warnings.

You have two important possibilities to do. Youi can break the time limit and you can get the right to free prisoner. These tasks are closely related, but not too much. You can break time limit without getting right to free prisoner and you can free prisoner even if time limit is not broken.

For breaking time limit you must kill every ogre, which guards prisoner. After that you can play as long as you want and prisoner will not die.

For getting right to free prisoner you must clear the prisoner's room from monsters. After that you can step by side to prisoner and prisoner is freed. You will get 10 000 money from Jarl in Crossroads. The money does not depend on time spent to free prisoner – 2 minutes or 2 hours, does not matter. And the money does not depend on whether time limit has broken or not. Probably freeing prisoner also breaks time limit.

When some ogres are alive, but they have run after you out of room and are not allowed back, and every other monster in room is killed, then you have right to free prisoner, but time limit is not broken. The prisoner will die, when not freed, even if there is nobody near him. Even if you observe from corner, that really nobody is near him.

When all ogres are killed, but there are other monsters in room, then the time limit is broken, but you have no right to free prisoner. If you come near prisoner, then you hit him. Always the first successful hit kills. You can a couple of times miss prisoner and you can get a notice "You decapitate the prisoner with a final murderous cut". No money is given for that! For freeing prisoner you must kill every monster in room. If you miss prisoner a couple of times, but then kill other monsters and free him, you will still get money.

If you kill the last monster, standing side by side with prisoner, then with final monster-killing hit prisoner is automatically freed.

Quote    Reply   

#53 [url]

Sep 20 07 11:59 AM

If you enter the beforementioned 4th floor first time, then there is a berserker near upstears. If you are unlucky, then it is this upbstears, by which you come down. If you are lucky, then this is other upstears.

Quote    Reply   

#54 [url]

Oct 1 07 11:18 AM

Some posts earlier I wrote:

Taivo wrote:
Some attacks are random. For example, wolf can byte and attack 2 times. White wolf can byte, attack 2 times and freeze. This is determined randomly.

But this is false. I discovered, that white wolf's attacks go also by turn. First is bite, second freeze and third attack 2 times. Probably this is also with other monsters, who have multiple kind of attacks. For example, cave bear's first is also bite, second is attack 2 times. It seems to me, that first is the weakest attack.

It seems to me, that dragons are exeptions. Their all other attacks go by turn, but breathing is random. And thieves are also exeptions. They steal and vanish randomly.

Quote    Reply   

Theta

Manticore

#55 [url]

Oct 3 07 10:35 PM

If you have a Clone Monster Scroll or Wand in the first part, Clone the boss, it's a great source of easy EXP.

Also, a tip about fighting him, Get Cold, Fire or Lightning Bolt (Maybe a Ball Spell too) as well as Sense Monsters. Make sure you have a room that is 9 - 10 space wide either left to right or up and down, and make sure it's dark. Over 9 is okay, but keep in mind the further away from him you are, the less chance that bolt will hit him (Unless it's a Ball.)

When he goes into the corner, bomb him with as many Bolts as you can hit him with, He can't see for maybe 2 - 3 Squares, but you can as you have Sense Monsters, just keep bombing him, by the time he even gets close to hit you, he should die.

Quote    Reply   

#56 [url]

Oct 4 07 12:25 PM

Picking something or putting into ground needs 10 seconds. With two exceptions. Picking into hand and getting (both using appropriate buttons) go momentarily. If you have a treasure of 5 moneyhill and 10 items, then putting them into appropriate places (one into hand, others into pack and money into purse) will take (5+10)*10 seconds = 2,5 minutes. Pressing buttons "Free hand" and "Get" does the same momentarily, with 0 seconds. This can be important, because monsters cannot attack you meanwhile.

If a lot of items are on floor and you press "Free hand", which one appears on hand? The last of them. You can see the list, by pressing right button on the place (if there is very lot of items, then you are not able to see the last), and you can see them in inventory list (the last item in the lowest row).

What if it is impossible to put all items into pack with Get command? The game starts from end of treasure and moves to beginning. All items, which is possible to put into pack, go there. For every other item a warning message appears into lower left window of screen, but the getting process will not break! It will continue and if there are smaller objects in treasure, then they go to pack. I repeat, the process happens momentarily and after that there are on floor the items, which were impossible to put into pack. You can pick one of them into free hand and go away.

Quote    Reply   

#57 [url]

Oct 8 07 10:58 AM

For winning Bjarnarhaven game, you must kill Hrungnir and get Amulet of Kings from 11th floor. For winning Crossroads game, you must kill Surtur and get Helmet of Storms from 25th floor.

These amulet and helmet are worth a lot of money. What if you sell them into shop? You are then unable to end game!

Cast rune of return. You will find yourself after a while on upstears in deepest floor of dungeon. Press < and you will go up. Do not press > for going down! Instead, press ) and you will go down again, but this time the last floor is generated newly. You have new floor with new caves and halls, full of new treasure, new monsters and new Hrungnir or Surtur to kill. That way you can get a new amulet or helmet.

Quote    Reply   

#58 [url]

Oct 11 07 1:00 PM

Olaf's junk store will buy anything for 25 money. Including cursed things.

But you can sell unidentified cursed things into shop. Shops will pay your more money. This is like cheating.

But you cannot sell unidentified cursed items infinitely into shops. Sooner or later they will refuse to buy unidentified items. The number of unidentified items, which you can sell into shop, varies from game to game and is different for every shop.

I am not sure, how is the refusal generated. It is possible, that the number is generated in beginning of game part. And it is possible, that after every sold item is determined randomly, do you have right to sell two (three?) more unidentified items into shop or not. This case collecting items behind shop's door and reloading game allows to sell items into shop unlimitly.

Probably the first is correct. So you cannot affect number of allowed cheats. So, what to do? In first parts, in tiny hamlet and Bjarnarhaven try to sell every unidentified item into shop. Probably you do not exceed the limit in most shops. If you do, do not sell them as junk, but carry with you to next parts of game. In third part, in Crossroads, you will exceed the limit in every shop. You can choose to sell cheaper items as junk and more expensive items into shops.

Quote    Reply   

#59 [url]

Oct 24 07 11:22 AM

I never buy items of identify. But if I find them, then I do not sell them also.

I never identify scrolls or potions. It's cheap to identify them in city by sage, only 100 money. I use staffs and scrolls of identify only for items, which identifying costs at least 500 money, like staffs, wands and rings.

Quote    Reply   

#60 [url]

Jan 19 08 10:21 AM

It is possible, that you go downstairs and are surrounded with monsters. Then step upstairs again. Maybe one of monsters will follow you; then you both are displayed in one place, monster down and you up. But actually you are not on one place, this is impossible.

You can fight even if monster seems to be in the same place as yourself, by pressing downgoing key. If you kill him, then new monster will never appear in his place, so you are guaranteed chance to step downstairs, although you can be attacked there.

Also you can run away and monster will come after you. This way you can transport monsters from one floor to another. Once I brought brown bear into Bjarnarhaven to see, what happens. Nothing surprising happened. My speed was 99%, so bear could attack me from time to time. But some monsters refuse to go from 1st floor to 0th floor. I have not researched that thoroughly.

If there are no monsters on some floor, then new monsters are not generated there and it will stay monster-empty. If you want to have monsters on every floor, then you can transport monsters from another floors and then they will multiply there.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help