Remove this ad

Gil

Manticore

#21 [url]

May 26 07 9:20 PM

Always sleep in a room closed by doors with the doors closed. It keeps out all but the ones able to open doors and the ones able to smash doors...

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#22 [url]

May 27 07 9:58 AM

It's better to disarm all detected traps. This gives experience points and makes further play on this floor safer.

But sometimes it is good to not disarm trap doors. I mean, if they do not block way behind trap. They give an additional possibility to go deeper. Although, it is impossible to say, where you appear from this trap. You can fall into very unpleasant place.

Quote    Reply   

Gil

Manticore

#23 [url]

May 28 07 11:45 AM

Yeah, I steer clear of trap doors as much as possible.

I also get the following spells as soon as possible:

- Detect Objects
- Detect Monsters
- Detect Traps

With these you always know what a level is worth, and you won't get any nasty surprises...

Quote    Reply   

#24 [url]

May 29 07 4:35 PM

Gil wrote:
Always sleep in a room closed by doors with the doors closed. It keeps out all but the ones able to open doors and the ones able to smash doors...

Noooo. I try to kill as many monsters as possible and like when they show up on their own to die. (Don't have to look around for them. ) Find a central lit room with long corridors attached to sleep in.

Taivo wrote:

But sometimes it is good to not disarm trap doors.

Yep, wait for levitation.

Quote    Reply   

#25 [url]

Jun 5 07 4:12 AM

If you leave a floor (deeper or higher), all monsters in it stay as they are (except if one beside you follows you into another floor). Monsters do not move, fall into sleep or wake without you, they only heal. If you know, where the monster is and which direction moves, when you leave the floor – no matter, how long are you away, if you reenter into this floor, the monster is in the same place and continues to move in same direction.

Quote    Reply   

#26 [url]

Jun 9 07 12:34 PM

This is actually a cheating. A way to identify items without spending money or mana. I personally do not use it for potions, scrolls, wands and staffs. I use it for armor, shield, cloaks, rings and so on.

Save the game. Use item. If it disappears (as scrolls and potions do) or is cursed, then reload game and rename the item.

Quote    Reply   

#28 [url]

Jun 17 07 10:15 AM

This is actually not a tip. Every door has usually 2 upstairs and 2 downstairs. Both upstairs situate so, that you cannot see from one to another. They are sometimes quite close, but you cannot see from one to another. And same for downstairs. But different kind of stairs can be even side by side.

Quote    Reply   

#30 [url]

Jun 18 07 10:16 AM

I mean seeing in the context of game. If you right click on some place on map, then it is written what is there. Sometimes this text begins "You see..." and then you can see the place, where you clicked. Sometimes the text begins "You map shows..." and then you cannot see the place.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#32 [url]

Jun 26 07 6:58 PM

Taivo wrote:
This is actually not a tip. Every door has usually 2 upstairs and 2 downstairs. Both upstairs situate so, that you cannot see from one to another. They are sometimes quite close, but you cannot see from one to another. And same for downstairs. But different kind of stairs can be even side by side.

When I was repeatedly recreating levels to find monsters and traps, found one room with both up stairs. One was at the top left of a cross room with the other up in the middle of the left of the cross.

DDDu__D
DDD___D
____
u___
____
DDD___D
DDD___D

Quote    Reply   

#33 [url]

Jun 28 07 4:30 PM

But it seems to me, that you cannot see from one to another, although they are in the same room.

And hear comes the next tip: Every full hour new monsters are created on every floor. One monster per floor, sometimes on deeper floors two. Only on full hours, not half or quarter hours.

With exeption if you have killed all monsters on floor and you are away from it. Then the floor stays empty. Presence of items and traps does not matter.

Let's imagine, that the floor is not empty and you are away from it for 5 hours. When you then return to the floor, 5 new monsters are generated. That means, every hour a number of "monsters, that must be in this floor" is increased, but the monsters themselves are generated only if the player enters the floor.

There is a maximum number of monsters in floor. If this is reached, then no more monsters are generated.

Quote    Reply   

#34 [url]

Jul 1 07 2:01 PM

Wand (and also scroll) of create traps is a valuable item. Do not throw it away!

When activated, it generates a trap into every place adjacent to you, where you can step, except doors and stairs. Choose a place in the middle of a room and each of 8 adjacent places are filled with traps! You can get a lot of points, disarming them, and, as disarming traps lasts at least 8 minutes, it also works as healing minor wounds.

Do not use it, if monsters can attack you. You cannot run away, there are traps enerywhere.

The wand (or scroll) of summon monster is also valuable. This creates only 1 monster adjacent to you, not 8 in each direction. The monster can attack you first, but usually it is not very tough monster and if you kill him, you get points again.

I am not sure, does the monster, created by summon monster spell, depends on floor you use it? Does it work differently on Crossroads, on 1st floor and on 25th floor? I summon monsters in the deepest levels, hoping to get tough monsters, whose killing gives more points.

Quote    Reply   

#35 [url]

Jul 5 07 6:07 PM

Taivo wrote:
But it seems to me, that you cannot see from one to another, although they are in the same room.

yep.

Taivo wrote:
And hear comes the next tip: Every full hour new monsters are created on every floor. One monster per floor, sometimes on deeper floors two. Only on full hours, not half or quarter hours.

excellent. Had thought about looking at monster creation time but hadn't put it in the things to determine how they work to allow remaking the game. Thanks.

Taivo wrote:
There is a maximum number of monsters in floor. If this is reached, then no more monsters are generated.

Something to add to things to determine. Should be fairly easy to find the number. Likely the same as starting number for the floor except where there are special roons.

Taivo wrote:
I am not sure, does the monster, created by summon monster spell, depends on floor you use it? Does it work differently on Crossroads, on 1st floor and on 25th floor? I summon monsters in the deepest levels, hoping to get tough monsters, whose killing gives more points.

I am fairly sure that it depends on the floor. Would guess it would be the same, or close to, what monsters are generated on the floor.

Quote    Reply   

#36 [url]

Jul 15 07 9:38 AM

If you use a spell of detect traps, then possibility of detecting a trap depends on how far you are from trap. If you are in corner of floor, then you will find only few traps. Be in center of floor, then you discover more traps.

Quote    Reply   

#37 [url]

Jul 19 07 11:17 AM

If you use a spell of detect monsters, then potion of detect monsters lasts a lot more then wand of detect monsters. Unfortunately I have not measured, but maybe 30 and 15 minutes. I have somewhere read, that it depends on you level also (every level gives additional minute).

Quote    Reply   

#38 [url]

Aug 18 07 10:53 AM

There are some strange things, when you have finished first two parts of game, tiny hamlet and Bjarnarhaven, and start the third, Crossroads.

If you save game, when you have not leaved Crossroads, and reload it, it does not load with full. You appear in random place somewhere in Crossroads (but not in shops or in castle, of course). After you save game outside Crossroads, all becomes normal again, even if you return Crossroads and save there.

If you load the Bjarnarhaven winning game, then time will be 0:0:0. Let's imagine, that you will play two and half minutes (time 0:2:30) and reload the same Bjarnarhaven winning game. You are in starting position again, near castle gate, but the time will not be in zeros! It remained 0:2:30. But you can quit the game, start it again and reload then Bjarnarhaven winning game. Now the time will be 0:0:0 again.

Quote    Reply   

Gil

Manticore

#40 [url]

Aug 23 07 12:45 PM

And this is true every time?

I already noticed that several rooms were hardcoded in, such as the obvious elemental and throne rooms...

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help