Remove this ad

Lead

Aug 25 10 6:31 PM

Tags : :

Hi I'm need find a program to run COTW 1 & 2. I've tried dosbox and any help would be great.
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

Theta

Manticore

#1 [url]

Aug 26 10 9:12 AM

You can use Dos Box to Install Windows 3.1, or you can use XP Mode in Windows 7, I don't know how to you actually get true XP Mode as I just use VPC so here is a link to that:

XPMODE: http://lifehacker.com/5245396/set-up-and-use-xp-mode-in-windows-7

And if you want to go the DosBox Route: http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=9405

If you understand computers well, DosBox is quick and easy to get it going. If you aren't the best with computers, XPMode might be the Easiest.

And if you don't like VPC, you can always try VMWare, though their website is a bit hard to understand.

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Aug 27 10 12:00 AM

Thank you I'm pretty good with Computers, but Dosbox is different then what I'm used to. I'm trying XPMODE Thank you again and I'll up date on how it works. Thanks again

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Apr 22 11 11:12 PM

I have no idea if you ever got this to work, but I'm on Win7-64, and I installed Win98 through VMWare and ran COTW just fine. I find that the 95/98 OS's do 97% of what I want from 3.1, anyway... I found I had about 3 95/98 disks just lying around...

Quote    Reply   

Theta

Manticore

#4 [url]

May 10 11 2:20 PM

Eric Qel-Droma wrote:
I have no idea if you ever got this to work, but I'm on Win7-64, and I installed Win98 through VMWare and ran COTW just fine. I find that the 95/98 OS's do 97% of what I want from 3.1, anyway... I found I had about 3 95/98 disks just lying around...

Completely forgot about VMware. That brings back so many memories.

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

May 12 11 1:03 AM

So basically I have to spend over $100 to upgrade to a professional Windows 7 because the XP Mode is not compatible with Windows 7 Premium edition or I have to buy a Win 98 key for the Dos Box on eBay...even though I own the darn CoTW floppy discs and just want to play it?!

Are there really no other options?

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

May 13 11 11:27 PM

VMWare Player is a free application that lets you set up virtual machines on your computer. Think of it as setting aside a little bit of space on your hard drive and making that little bit of space believe it's a whole separate computer.

Onto this virtual space you install a whole separate operating system. For nostalgia freaks like me, it means I have a functioning Windows 98 machine on my Windows 7 machine (provided I have a valid W98 disc to use during install, of course!). I find that more complicated games don't work right through this method; X-Wing and TIE Fighter CD's don't work great for me this way.

The other OS I'm mentioning here is Ubuntu, which is a version of Linux that is a) free of charge and b) very user-friendly. You can create a VMWare installation of Ubuntu relatively easily and it's totally legal.

Once you have your Ubuntu virtual machine up and running, you go into Ubuntu and install WINE from Ubuntu's "app store." WINE is a program that lets you run many Windows programs through Linux. When I used to run a 100% Linux computer, WINE saved my butt several times when I needed to run a Windows program.

So, basically, you download VMWare Player. You download Ubuntu and burn it to a CD (does one have to do the burning still?). You install VMWare Player and use the Ubuntu CD as the OS. Install WINE from the repositories/appstore, then install COTW, and... voila? This should work.

I realize everything I just typed sounds very complicated, but I'm trying to get around your complaint about having to buy a Win98 key. I haven't messed with VMWare installs much recently, but when I did so last summer, it turned out to be pretty painless and kind of fun. Plus, Linux is a whole other OS, and those can be fun to learn!

All of this would be easier if WINE ran on Windows, but it doesn't. All of this would be further easier if MS would do something to allow for basic, addable backward compatibility with their really old stuff. DOSBox is GREAT for pre-94 DOS gaming, but it leaves Win3.1 stuff a little flat.

Oh, and I just checked my VMWare, and the latest Ubuntu it's compatible with is version 10.10, which is still readily available, I'll bet! (EDIT - Huh. Apparently not. 10.04 is, though, and as it's a Long Term Support release, I'm sure it still has a WINE variant that will run on it just fine.)

(Disclaimer - I haven't actually tried exactly what I'm recommending here. It was a SNAP with Win98 and VMWare Player, and Ubuntu+WINE should be able to handle COTW. But I might be completely full of it and I might have just typed a really, really long response that's totally wrong. Who knows?)

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

May 13 11 11:35 PM

Oh, if you go to ubuntu.com, they clearly show that you can run Ubuntu through another installer called Wubi, which apparently lets Ubuntu run IN Windows like it was just a big application. That might be another way to go instead of trying VMWare, and I'm sure the Ubuntu site is going to be more than happy to give you all the Wubi help you need.

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

May 14 11 1:25 PM

Thanks for the help, I'll try it soon.

I really appreciate this, especially because I wasn't expecting such a fast reply on this.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#11 [url]

Jul 18 11 2:22 AM

so my windows 7 32 bit laptop died and it played COTW just fine and i never understood why every one complained, now i have a 64 bit system and its pissing me off, and most of the solutions involve having a copy of an older operating system. i dont even have a copy of this operating system so i dont see that working. and ive tried runing it in an old mode but it dont work. is there another way.

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Jul 18 11 1:54 PM

Well, complaining that you don't have a copy of Ubuntu is a bit silly, considering that it's free to download and run. Ubuntu + Wubi + WINE and you should be all set. I'll bet that's not even an hour of post-downloading work all told.

Quote    Reply   

Theta

Manticore

#14 [url]

Jul 24 11 7:27 PM

vasuden wrote:
So basically I have to spend over $100 to upgrade to a professional Windows 7 because the XP Mode is not compatible with Windows 7 Premium edition or I have to buy a Win 98 key for the Dos Box on eBay...even though I own the darn CoTW floppy discs and just want to play it?!

Are there really no other options?

You could just Install another Version of Windows inside Microsoft VPC which is much easier IMO. I highly suggest this over the Ubuntu method.

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=4580

VPC is the free version of XPMode essentially, it just doesn't integrate into the OS like XPmode was designed for and you don't need professional or higher to run this.

Windows 98 Tutorial Vids: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpF6rgxmErs

It's not in English unfortunately, but if you select the same things he does, it should work. I just installed 98 Right now on VPC and looks like it Syncs up, I didn't watch it all the way through, however.

Laslyon wrote:
so my windows 7 32 bit laptop died and it played COTW just fine and i never understood why every one complained, now i have a 64 bit system and its pissing me off, and most of the solutions involve having a copy of an older operating system. i dont even have a copy of this operating system so i dont see that working. and ive tried runing it in an old mode but it dont work. is there another way.

You don't have any other version of Windows on another CD? I'm almost dead certain though that you can pick up an old copy of Windows dirt cheap somewhere online or at Yard Sales, I've found tons of old Windows 98 CDs on my trips to bargain shops and such.

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Jul 24 11 10:27 PM

I'd agree that, if one has a copy of Win98, it's easier than learning another OS. My post/suggestion was only to show that one need not spend a cent.

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

Oct 22 11 11:39 AM

I've been wrestling with windows 7 64 bit and Castle of the Winds for awhile now. I've tried various solutions and the easiest and cheapest is this:

01) get dosbox here: http://www.dosbox.com/
02) get daemon tools here: http://www.daemon-tools.cc/eng/products/dtLite
03) get an iso of windows 3.1 here: REMOVED, SEE BELOW
04) install dosbox and daemon tools
05) create a new folder on your C drive titled dosgames
06) copy the folders for CotW 1 and 2 to the folder created in step 5
07) mount the windows 3.1 iso from step 3 with daemon tools (left-click the lightning bolt icon in the taskbar and select the iso file)
08) create a subfolder intitled wininst inside the folder created in step 5 and copy the contents of the windows 3.1 iso into it (you will find the contents of the iso on a fake cdrom in windows file explorer or My Computer)
09) run dosbox (that will give you what looks like a dos command prompt)
10) in the dosbox window type mount C C:\dosgames
11) in the dosbox window type C:
12) in the dosbox window type cd wininst
13) in the dosbox window type setup.exe
14) run through the windows 3.1 install (express settings should work fine) then close dosbox
15) reopen dosbox, repeat steps 10 and 11
16) in the dosbox window type cd windows
17) in the dosbox window type win
18) press alt+enter to make dosbox full screen (alt+enter again will go back to windowed mode if you need to)

you will now be looking at the windows 3.1 graphic user interface. To make things easier in the future:

19) double click on the games icon
20) click on File->New->OK
21) type Castle of the Winds 1 into the description box
22) click Browse, select the cotW1 folder then the executable file (castle1.exe), click OK then OK again
23) repeat steps 20 through 22 for Castle of the Winds 2
24) click File->exit windows->ok
25) in the dosbox window type exit
26) in the start menu subfolder for dosbox choose the dosbox options shortcut, that will open a text document titled dosbox-*.conf (where the * is the version number)
27) in the text document from step 26, find the entry fullscreen=false and change it to fullscreen=true
28) in the text document from step 26, at the very bottom of the document under the section labelled [autoexec], insert the following lines then save the changes:
mount C C:\dosgames
C:
cd windows
win
exit

You're now all set to play either CotW game from a 64 bit OS whenever you want. Now that the setup is complete, the steps to go through to actually play the games are much simpler:

01) run dosbox
02) double click on whichever CotW game you wish to play

When you're done playing and want to get back to Windows 7:

01) close the CotW game through the File menu or pressing alt+F4
02) click File->exit windows->ok (or press alt+F4 again)

There you have it. Hope it helps.

Kuro_Neko

edited on 10/10/13 to make the day to day process simpler

Last Edited By: 8995947 Oct 9 13 11:19 PM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

Theta

Manticore

#17 [url]

Oct 30 11 9:03 AM

Sorry Kuro_Neko, but I'm afraid I can't let you hotlink to Windows 3.1 as it is illegal to download it and it would put this forum in jeopardy with our host.

Quote    Reply   

#18 [url]

Oct 30 11 9:22 AM

I hardly think Microsoft is going to care, considering how old Windows 3.1 is. But I understand it's the principle of the thing, so if you think it might get you in trouble with your host then by all means remove it. Unfortunately removing that link makes pretty much the entire post useless. Anyone who knows enough to find that link on their own wouldn't need the step-by-step guide, and those that do need it won't be able to use it without the link.

Kuro_Neko

Quote    Reply   

Theta

Manticore

#19 [url]

Nov 2 11 8:31 PM

Yeah I don't think they would care either, it is just links that would cause the board to be taken down.

I did leave your post in tact simply because if someone were to find Windows 3.1 by their own means, they could still use that.

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

Mar 10 12 7:08 AM

Thanks a lot Kuro_Neko. very easy and good walkthrough, and worked perfectly!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help