Remove this ad

Lead

Jul 24 10 10:05 AM

Tags : :

Consider this:

You start a new game, choosing a spell other than magic arrow, and take the stairs down into a dungeon. You immediately find yourself in a corridor. Below you is the familiar "dead end door"; above you is a slime.

You have no way to kill the slime and no way to gain more xp.

Is the game unwinnable?
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

Theta

Manticore

#1 [url]

Jul 26 10 6:30 PM

Perhaps, but what if you used your mana up and rested alot in hopes that a monster would spawn, so that with any luck you could obtain the spell of Magic Arrow.

Or if you choose Phase Door, use Phase Door to move past it.

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Jul 26 10 8:27 PM

Theta wrote:
Perhaps, but what if you used your mana up and rested alot in hopes that a monster would spawn, so that with any luck you could obtain the spell of Magic Arrow.

I'm almost sure that new monsters do not spawn adjacent to you... at least I've never seen it in this game or in other roguelikes.

Or if you choose Phase Door, use Phase Door to move past it.

Oops, duh. Let's say the spell was not Phase Door, either.

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Jul 29 10 9:29 AM

If I remember correctly you can still hurt a Slime with your sword. So, strike it, rest, strike it, rest, strike it, rest. You should be able to overcome the obstacle.
This works best if you spend your starting income on a better weapon.

I have "run over" slimes before on accident at higher levels, but i am not sure if that is dependent on having a sword or not, I would have to play the game to test that theory

http://www.firesickle.com/

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Aug 24 10 4:46 PM

sean, I haven't been able to damage Slimes at all even with magic weapons and higher level characters. It's possible that certain magic weapons can hurt them, but certainly not anything a starting character would get.

Theta, you might be right about no Slimes on level 1. I have seen red ants while playing on expert, though. Which is higher level?

The answer I had in mind was this: Go back to town and keep casting/resting until new items appear in the stores. Eventually there will be a book of magic missile to buy.

Quote    Reply   

Theta

Manticore

#6 [url]

Aug 26 10 9:15 AM

Unless you have no money in which you can't get a spell book.

Theodis might be able to answer this though as he has the source.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#7 [url]

Aug 27 10 3:34 PM

You might have to sell back some items to afford the spellbook, but its only (I think) 416 gold.

Yes, if you waste all your money, such as by selling back to the junk store, you can't afford it, but at that point it isn't an "impossible game" so much as a simple case of suicide by stupidity.

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Aug 27 10 8:03 PM

It's winnable if you go back through the stairs and use ) instead of > to go back down, regenerating the dungeon floor. However, it might be impossible if you somehow fall down a trapdoor without a magic spell.

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Aug 29 10 1:09 PM

Personally, I consider ) to be borderline cheating; it lets you reload an easy level with treasure instead of forcing you to advance to a harder one, plus it clears away especially tough monsters lurking near the stairs (in fact, exactly the use you are suggesting here).

Great point about the trapdoor, though. That is a bona fide unwinnable game through no fault of the player. Technically, it could be avoided by untrapping every square before moving onto it, but I think most people would consider that bug abuse, not to mention incredibly tedious.

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Apr 22 11 9:15 AM

Re: Impossible game

Rast wrote:
Consider this:

You start a new game, choosing a spell other than magic arrow, and take the stairs down into a dungeon. You immediately find yourself in a corridor. Below you is the familiar "dead end door"; above you is a slime.

You have no way to kill the slime and no way to gain more xp.

Is the game unwinnable?

On the other side of the corridor is a lit room. Wait for a dragon to wander into it. It will see you and move towards you. Stand next to the slime and encourage the dragon to use its breath weapon on you. The slime is dead and you can get past.

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Jun 22 11 8:41 PM

I've never seen a slime generate on mine 1, so I figured it was the second game, my apologies.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help