Remove this ad

Gil

Manticore

#21 [url]

Dec 10 09 12:56 PM

Be sure to work in a non-numpad version of the controls for the laptop users.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#22 [url]

Dec 10 09 1:43 PM

The Mouse will be able to control the player pretty soon.

I do not plan on making the controls customizable, but since the user interface happens outside of the Engine (that is, the form has all user input programmed into it, and that sends commands to the COTWENG object), it in theory could have 100% configurable controls (I just don't feel like doing the work).

http://www.firesickle.com/

Quote    Reply   

#23 [url]

Dec 29 09 8:28 AM

I just moved, won't have the internet for a few more days, until my Roommate gets a router and the internet company mails us a Modem.

I will be making an update here soon as I get back,
Got a player inventory working, got items working, "containers" are items, been working on an inventory interface, which will probably double as the "Store" screen.

More coming soon,
Sean C - FireSickle

Quote    Reply   

#26 [url]

Jan 14 10 10:16 AM

I've lost some steam on bringing this project to fruitation during my move. I recently got the internet back, but I released an Album on January 1 and am doing some music projects right now...

Where I left off:

I got the first level (the tiny hamlet) loading in from a text file. I have items placing on the ground, and the ability to pick them up with with the player, and if there is 2+ items in one square it displays the loot-pile.

I have created an enumeration of all items so i had a Realname:Integer association for the items, and am using it in drawing the items.

I have event's triggering when a player enters squares (if no event exists, nothing fires) so I should be able to use that to change the level.

I was working on the Inventory / Store interface when I last left off. I am using a ListView with the view set to Large_Icons. I have created an ImageList to store icon images for the ListView, and I got that all working like gravy. I am was getting ready to work on the "Worn" equipment, and then finally drag and dropping the items.

----

I will be putting this project aside for another month (at least) while I finish up a 28 days of music project I started (yesterday).

----

some of the outstanding work that I haven't started:

AI - Each enemy is going to have it's own specific set of rules and actions, and I haven't even begun researching this. I am not quite sure how it will be done, but i have a feeling that I will be creating a clsMonster class and inheriting it so there will be a separate version for each person.

Player Stats & formulas for calculating AC, HP, MP, How much gets restored while resting

Magical Items

Random Dungeon Generator

Getting a full list of items, their affects, and more

Spells

All kinds of other things missing too I'm sure.

Quote    Reply   

#28 [url]

Jan 14 10 1:45 PM

Yeah.... I am 99% sure it is a bit more involved than that?

How about more like:
If enemy is within 10 squares, and I can see him, throw a rock.
If enemy is within 6 squares, cast cold bolt...
If I see enemy, attack, throw spikes, take another action...

Quote    Reply   

Gil

Manticore

#29 [url]

Jan 14 10 7:45 PM

I think it's a lot more random than that. If you want to emulate the original that is.

If not, the main rule with AI is KISS (keep it simple)

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#30 [url]

Jan 15 10 8:15 AM

Thedios was saying that there was commenting in the Manticore's AI script for the part where it gets to do 4 claw attacks a bit then 6 claw attacks or something, in the comments Saada said "Poor bastard" or something...

I don't know what thread I read it in, but if this is the case, then I believe that Rick gave each monster it's own specific parameters of what it can do. Not everything can throw rocks, claws, or cast spells, and obviously wouldn't need to do anything beyond advancing towards you and attacking you, but I don't think it's just going to be something that takes 2 seconds...

Quote    Reply   

#31 [url]

Jan 15 10 2:04 PM

seancampbell wrote:
Yeah.... I am 99% sure it is a bit more involved than that?

How about more like:
If enemy is within 10 squares, and I can see him, throw a rock.
If enemy is within 6 squares, cast cold bolt...
If I see enemy, attack, throw spikes, take another action...

Thinking of the wizards, they have, if memory serves, six different actions they can perform. The AI within the game does not seem to use those actions well - they will heal even if not wounded, and not necessarily teleport or heal if wounded. Could be a decision here whether to match the original or have it make more sense (or change with difficulty).

Seen a couple of other games where packs will wait in the room rather than attack single file down a corridor.

Quote    Reply   

#32 [url]

Jan 15 10 2:07 PM

My plan is to remake the game and improve upon it. I do not plan on making everything exactly the same besides the graphics. That said, I will be using the original game's enemies as models for what the new AI should do.

Quote    Reply   

#35 [url]

Mar 14 10 2:04 PM

Here is some XML that I slapped together with a macro from my code. It represents all of my cases for Items. I have an enumerator which basically just makes it so I can use words instead of numbers to represent items when I hardcode them (makes life easier). I have getItemName, getItemDescription functions which a macro generates from this xml document.

I guess someone else could do that too so here is the start, I have to change both the IDs and add text. Reference the Items image that should be linked near the top of this thread.

EDIT (Apr 2012)
Dead project, deleted the text and images from this thread

Quote    Reply   

#36 [url]

Apr 16 10 8:12 AM

Been working on a new game using C#.Net with the XNA Framework. My gut feeling is that I am going to convert this project to XNA so I can make the game playable on the XBox360 and Zune, as well as get more practical experience with XNA.

Not sure when I am going to pick the project back up though, here is a screenshot of where I left off. You can pick up these items into your inventory, but I never finished the Store and Inventory UI pieces.

I'll give my code to anyone who asks for it, email me [email protected]

-Sean C

Quote    Reply   

#38 [url]

Apr 24 12 9:57 AM

I am going to start a new thread, but wanted to start here...

A few years ago I took a shot at making a Windows Forms GDI+ version of the COTW game. My project didn't make it too far along, I got a single level loading and the ability for you to pickup items... My work progress is contained here in this thread. At the time, I was trying to make a true remake.

One of the last posts I made on this thread was that I was going to look at the XNA framework for game making. Over the next couple years (yes its been 2 years since my last post!!!) I developed an XNA Framework game engine that was primarily built for platform games.

Last week I started tearing that engine apart to make into an RPG engine, which is actually coming along rather quickly. Linked above is a demo of what I am doing right now. The level you see was designed with a rudimentary level designer I created, resurrected from the ashes of my Windows Forms COTW project. My level designer only places floor tiles right now. Structures will have an entrance point that will send you to a level or interact with an NPC. The level designer will grow into a full fledged level making tool complete with NPC placing. I have some ideas on how it should be, but nothing documented.

The current goals of my project are strictly technology based. I am only using COTW graphics for the sake of saving time as I already have all COTW assets categorized on my computer from previous work.

The current technology goals are:

--The game will be rouge style, like Diablo 1 and COTW, you are given one or two main dungeons with randomly generated floors.
    --NPC interaction, dialog trees (preparing for the next version which will be more complex)
    --D20 based Ability Scores, Skills, Perks(Feats)
    --D20 turn based combat (Standard Action, Move Action, Minor Action, Free Action) - Combat turns will be "planned" then the character will click Execute, this will allow me to create a sequence of events that can be taken back or strategically planned out.
    --A wide variety of weapons, armors, jewlery, magic spells, potions, scrolls with varying levels of magic. Cursed items will exist, weapon damage variety will exist within the weapon tiers (For instance, one dagger might do a bit more damage than another dagger).
    --Inventory will be based on Weights rather than by arbitrary spaces (Like COTW, not like Diablo)
    --Movement Speed can be increased, which will increase the amount of time that it takes to slide from one tile to another. During combat this speed will be represented as how many tiles you can move in an action.
    --Unrevealed tiles and Fog Of War are already implemented. The character's visibility range will vary if he is carrying a lighted item, such as a torch or certain magical items. The sight won't go through walls (that is not programmed yet). Outdoors areas and towns will most likely be completely revealed in the beginning (unlike Baulders Gate, my towns won't be that big)

There is a lot of work left to be done, I only just started converting this engine. I have many goals, but most of all I intend to have fun building this project at a leisurely pace and in a manner that I see fit. Since it is a rouge-like game system, it won't be hard to emulate a COTW style gameplay (hence why I posted here).

I have no plans for story or actual game content, and perhaps a persuasive forum member could talk me into working towards a "Return to the Castle of the Winds" game.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help